All Science Content
Rock Cycle Lesson
Rock Cycle Practice
Rock Quiz Answers
Rock Cycle Video
mouseover for definition
A combination of minerals, usually containing one or more of htese elements: Oxygen, Silicon, Aluminum, Iron, Calcium, Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium
solid, inorganic, naturally occurring substances with a specific chemical formula and general structure.
The process by which rock changes from one type to another
molten material inside the volcano, and deep beneath the Earth's crust
molten material running out of the volcano
Outer most layer of the Earth
Layer of the Earth just beneath the crust
Rock formed by heat and pressure, usually deep beneath the Earth's surface, although hot lava can form "contact metamorphic rock."
Rock formed by weathered and eroded material. Also from fossils or other dead organic material.
Rock formed by molten rock,such as magma or lava. Magma and lava are essentially the same, they are called so by where they are located and not really what they are made of.
Intrusive Igneous Rock
Rock formed by magma cooling inside the volcano or magma chamber.
Extrusive Igneous Rock
Rock formed by lava cooling on the surface of the Earth, outside the volcano.
Clastic Sedimentary Rock
Rock formed by weathered debris.
Chemical Sedimentary Rock
Rock formed by chemicals dissolved in solution
Organic Sedimentary Rock
Rock formed by the accumulation of plant or animal debris
Foliated Metamorphic Rock
Rock formed by heat and extreme pressure resulting in bands or layers
Nonfoliated Metamorphic Rock
Rock formed by heatr and pressure that do not have bands or layers.
ROCK CYCLE QUIZ
Fill in the following blanks. After you submit the quiz, you will be forwarded to a page with the correct responses as well as the responses you entered. You will also receive an email with your responses.
Enter your name
Enter your email address
1. What are the 3 types of rocks?
2. What type of rock is formed by heat and pressure?
3. What type of rock is formed by volcanic activity?
4. What type of rock is formed by weathering and erosion?
5. What is melted rock called?
6. When igneous rock is weathered and eroded, what type of rock does it become?
7. When metamorphic rock becomes weathered and eroded, what type of rock does it become?
8. When sedimentary rock melts, what does it become?
9. When magma cools, what type of rock does it become?
10. In order for metamorphic rock to become igneous rock, what must happen?
11. What type of rock do you think is at a subduction zone (convergent boundary)? WHY?
12. What does metamorphic rock turn into at subduction zones (convergent boundaries)?
13. Jesse found some old rocks in in his basement. They had large crystals and were labeled "continental crust." What type of rocks were they?
14. Foliated and nonfoliated refers to which type of rock?
15. Rock that are made of sand layers are what type?
16. Rock that cools below the Earth's surface is what type?
17. Rock that cools on top of the surface of the Earth is what type?
18. The mid-ocean ridge is a divergent boundary where lava erupts onto the ocean floor. Is this intrusive or extrusive igneous rock?
19. Granite, a type of igneous rock is formed under the surface of the Earth and uplifted by Earth processes. Is granite intrusive or extrusive igneous rock?
20. Many folded mountain ranges are formed under extreme pressure. What type of rock might be found here?
21. Rock that made of other rocks and fossils are called?
22. In order for ANY rock to become igneous rock, what must happen first?
23. Obsidian is a glassy type of rock with a smooth texture. What type of rock is this?
24. Rocks formed by cementation are in what category of rocks?
25. "E.D.C.C." is an acronym related to which type of rock?
26. What does "E.D.C.C." stand for?
27. Any rock can undergo any process to become any rock. How does an igneous rock become another igneous rock?
28. Which rocks are described as having crystals, glass, or holes?
29. All rocks are made of one or more ____________________ ?
30. Volcanoes ooze a liquid rock material called ________________?
you must enter name and email address